1.31.2011

What I Learned from Rabbi Yisrael Pinson

From the post Humility & Gratitude

I learned not only does Rabbi Pinson have a sense of humor but also of HODU. The Hebrew word for turkey is HODU which means "be grateful."

As my son reads from The Power he speaks frequently how we need to be grateful. He catches me complaining in conversation and has no fear in correcting my attitude. What a gift.

So Rabbi Pinson speaks of the need to pray and meditate in order to have a conscious contact with God. He says his secret to this connection is his humility. I have heard it said that if you claim your humble you must really not be humble. But in this case that statement is truly wrong as I see the connection clearly. What I learned is you are humbling yourself when you know your NOT God. The act of prayer and meditation is living the belief that I am NOT God. I can have the humility to know that a greater force is in charge.

I love that gratitude and humility go hand in hand. That you can not have one without the other. If you have not read his post you must, I can not explain it in any way that will give his words justice.

Thank you for teaching me these lessons Rabbi Pinson!

Connect with Rabbi Pinson

Daniel B. Sobel Friendship House
thefriendshiphouse.org
JewishRecovery.org
JewsInTheRooms.com
twitter.com/RecoveryRabbi

facebook.com/JewishRecovery

No comments: