1.05.2010

What I Learned from John R.

Read John R.'s posts.

One of the things I like about John's post is the way he describes how he meditates. It is great sometimes to hear how other people do it.

The other part of John's post I really like is when he talks about how prayers pop up all around him "It's amazing if I am conscious of my surroundings how many prayers there are out there." I keyed in on "if I am conscious." First there is the level of consciousness sobriety brings. That is amazing! It is like the blinders have come off. Every thing seems brighter and clearer. Then there comes a deeper level of consciousness. This is what I am working on. To really be present in the moment as much as possible. It seems easy to be aware of my surroundings when I am taking a walk in a park, especially on a beautiful day. But when I am at work, in the store, at my sons school, in the post office, doing those day to day tasks that take up much of my time I have to ask... am I conscious of my surroundings? Not most of the time. I am in the doing mode. As John stated "practice, practice, practice."

I can make use of what John is offering by remembering to "practice, practice, practice" being conscious of my surroundings. I like that he lights a candle and sits quietly in the morning too, this is something else I can make use of.

Thank you John R.!

1 comment:

mike said...

Thanks for the post.
Meditation is a wonderful part of many peoples' sobriety. I have a difficult time with it. My mediation comes on suddenly sometimes...and I enjoy it while I can.