4.13.2008

Right Use Of The Will

"All of us, without exception, pass through times when we can pray only with the greatest exertion of will."

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions page 105

All of us, without exception. What can you tell others that will help them get back on the track with prayer and meditation when they become complacent? How does one muster up that exertion of will?
-----------------
If you get an on-line copy of the Big Book and The 12 &12, you can search on the words "right use of will" or something to that affect to see what these texts have to say. It has always comforted and encouraged me to know that when I am applying my will to work the program it is a form of being "self supporting through my own contributions".

The right use of the will comes when we perform what may appear to be difficult in the steps or any program of recovery to bring about actions and results that move us away from using or doing behaviors that are so painful that using becomes viable in our minds.

When new at prayer/meditation, during those first early attempts to pray or meditate, gently forge ahead because you are trying to create a new habit. Psycologist say it takes 21 days to develop a new habit, so hang in there and know that you are creating a new groove in your brain and in your behavior.

I always identify the benefits of prayer/meditation or of any step I am working on to encourage me and keep me focused. The Big Book is loaded with these benefits.

The promises have come true for me. I would no more go without prayer/meditation than I would without air or sunshine. Spiritual practice has given me an unshakable foundation for life. When I feel off track, I gently ask the God of my own understanding to lead me back in a way that fits my life right now. The answer shows up as new prayer or meditation, service work, a new class or workshop or new prayer partner - something that inspires me to get connected and in conscious contact. Feel free to send an email if you need support.
Gail
http://www.conscious-contact.com
http://www.myspace.com/spiritualpractice


No comments: